Slip on your ballet shoes and take class at the home of The Australian Ballet to live piano in our newly renovated building.
Our six-week series of adult ballet classes are taught by current and former dancers of The Australian Ballet and will have you performing the perfect pirouette in no time.
Classes range from absolute beginner to advanced, plus our repertoire classes give you the chance to learn the steps from some of the world’s most famous ballets.
Being in the ballet room is something very special. Dancing is happinessJan Carstens, Adult Ballet Class participant
Where and when
Launches 9 July
$160 per six-week series, $33 casual
75-min ballet | 60-min Rep
Step Inside Email
News about and offers for our events, talks and classesSign up
In this beginner class you’ll learn the basics of our favourite art form in the studios used by our elite dancers. Class will start at the barre and will progress slowly into exercises in the centre of the room (without a barre) including port de bras (arm movements), travelling exercises and petit allegro (small jumps). This is a fun, step-by-step guide that will help you to improve your posture, co-ordination and strength so that you can channel your inner ballerina. No prior experience necessary.
- This class is for people who have never done ballet before, or people who have only attended a small number of classes before
- Ballet shoes are recommended
Level one is the class for you if you have participated in ballet classes before and are familiar with the basic positions of the arms and feet. The main focus of the course will be on developing your musicality and working on your strength and coordination at the barre so that you can advance into centre work. Each week will build on the previous week to re-familiarise you basics of classical ballet.
Level two is the class for you if you have participated in a series of ballet classes recently and are confident with pliés, tendus, battements, ronds de jambes, arabesques and pirouettes. Classes will focus on technique in a fun environment. Each week will build on the previous week and combine strength, conditioning, correct body alignment, flexibility, coordination and rhythm.
Level three is for you if you’ve completed a course in adult ballet recently have a solid foundation in classical technique. Class will move at a quicker pace and include longer exercises in the centre. Musicality will be refined and you’ll be challenged to develop the lyricism of your dancing.
All ballet classes at The Australian Ballet are accompanied by live piano (the way it should be!).
In our repertoire classes, you get to learn the most famous steps and sequences from the most loved ballets; think Swan Lake, La Bayadere, The Sleeping Beauty and Don Quixote. You’ll be learning both the technique required to perform these steps but also the stagecraft involved in communicating the story to an audience.
Week commencing 9 July – week concluding 19 August
6.30 - 7.45pm
- Level one with Roland Cox (please note that Filip Janda will be covering on Monday 9 July)
6.45 - 8pm
- Ballet basics with Justine Miles
- Level three with Madeline Eastoe
6.30 - 7.45pm
- Level two with Sakis Michelis
6.45 - 8pm
- Ballet basics with Sophie Fletcher
- Level three Justine Miles
6.30 - 7.45pm
Level one with Filip Janda
6.45 - 8pm
- Level two with Sophie Fletcher
- Level three with Justine Miles
8 - 9pm
- Repertoire class with Justine Miles
Classes are sold in six week blocks. Prices are as follows:
- $160 for each six-week series (save $38)
- $75 for six-week repertoire series (only available to level two and above)
- $300 for enrolment in a series of two classes per week (save $96)
- $399 for enrolment in a series of three classes per week (save $195)
- $33 per ballet class
- $17 repertoire
Level Five, The Primrose Potter Australian Ballet Centre
2 Kavanagh Street, Southbank, Melbourne
What to wear
- Non-restrictive tights or leggings
- T-shirt, leotard or sports top
- Ballet shoes
- Limited change room facilities are available 10 minutes before your class commences.
What to bring
- If it is your first class with us you will need to bring a completed participant informaiton form
- A bottle of water and a towel
- It’s recommended that you don’t eat in the 90 minutes before class and are well hydrated
- Arrive at least five minutes before class, as there is no late admittance
- Please sign in for all classes
- Wash your hands before entering the studio
- Please turn off phones and mobile devices
- Listen carefully to the teacher’s instructions
Ballet is suitable for most people but please keep in mind it is challenging exercise. We require a letter from your doctor to participate if you:
- are pregnant
- have a history of heart condition or stroke
- have a serious cardiovascular condition including hypertension, hypotension and heart failure
- are currently using diuretics, barbiturates or beta-blockers
I have really remembered why I loved dancing all those years ago, my fitness has improved, my mental health is in good shape too and my creative side has an outlet again. I hadn’t anticipated any of those outcomes and so great are the personal rewards and enjoyment that I then signed up for another week of classes.KATE GORDON-ADDISON, ADULT BALLET PARTICIPANT