Valerie Tereshchenko was born in Kiev, Ukraine. She immigrated to Australia with her family when she was six years old and a year later took her first ballet class. Valerie's talent for movement was nurtured at a number of Melbourne-based dance schools, including West Point Ballet Academy, Ballet Theatre of Victoria, and the Australian International School of Coaching. Valerie later joined The Australian Ballet School. In 2008 she participated in a school exchange in North America and that same year performed with The Dancers Company tour for the second time. In 2009 she joined The Australian Ballet; she was promoted to coryphée in 2015, to soloist in 2017 and to senior artist in 2018.
- The Queen of Hearts in Christopher Wheeldon's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland© 2019, 2017
- Tertulla in Lucas Jervies' Spartacus 2018
- Giselle in The Australian Ballet's Regional Tour of Giselle 2017
- The Lilac Fairy in David McAllister's The Sleeping Beauty 2017, 2015
- Wayne McGregor's Infra 2017
- Viktor Gsovsky's Grand pas classique 2016
- William Forsythe's In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated 2016
- Russian Dancer in Stephen Baynes' Swan Lake 2016, 2012
- Myrtha, Queen of the Wilis in Maina Gielgud’s Giselle 2015
- Stepmother in Alexei Ratmansky’s Cinderella 2016 - 2014
You may not know
Valerie is a board member of Ballet Without Borders, a not-for-profit organisation that aims to bring ballet education and pathways to all children, regardless of socio-economic circumstance or geography.
- Telstra Ballet Dancer Award 2017
- Telstra Ballet Dancer Award nominee 2013
- Paquita and Swan Lake Act III, The Dancers Company tour 2015